Thursday, September 07, 2006

A light build and Wal-mart to change energy consumption in the World!


Yes, you read it right... Wal-Mart is in the forefront of pushing the "Going Green" slogan! Is it a publicity stunt? I don't know read the article and find out. From the looks of it this could be a huge push to save energy, reduce pollution (by not building coal burning power stations) and put the traditional incandescent bulb manufacturers out of business.

It is ironic that Wal-Mart is doing it and GE is its partner in this venture. I can see a huge savings from every house hold buying the Swirl bulbs. The article states that if every one of 110 million American households bought just one ice-cream-cone bulb, took it home, and screwed it in the place of an ordinary 60-watt bulb, the energy saved would be enough to power a city of 1.5 million people. One bulb swapped out, enough electricity saved to power all the homes in Delaware and Rhode Island. In terms of oil not burned, or greenhouse gases not exhausted into the atmosphere, one bulb is equivalent to taking 1.3 million cars off the roads...

There are 570 sitings of the search for "Wal-Mart", "GE" and "Compact fluorescence"

Here is an interesting analysis of the article
Here is an Consumer review of Compact fluorescent Lights
10 Reasons why CFL will change the world by Tech Review
Slashdot has a posting on it

Summary of all this... I am going to changing all my bulbs to CFLs, my wife hates them but what the heck I have to do my part to Go Green right! But I still love my Toyota 4Runner SUV... go ahead call me a hypocrite

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hello :)
Congratulations to you for your success at the Reykjavik Marathon! I was there too...you must have passed by me at some point ;) hehe
I was with Team Diabetes.

Thank you for the thumbs up for our team's accomplishment :) I'm not sure what was more difficult, the training or the fundraising :)

Good luck with Oslo...I'll bookmark your blog :) :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny,
Thank you for leaving comments and book marking my blog. I have been preparing for the marathon and will keep my blog updated...check for my posts.

Regards,
Bala