Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Native Monetization

Advertising advertising[Original post written @http://startupiceland.wordpress.com

I dont get banner ads, let me be very honest with you I am Ad blind. If you really think you care going to get me to click on a banner, you are very wrong. I am not the only one thinking this way. We have become oblivious to all these flashy things shown on the websites. I wish we would have a cleaner web. I go to a website to do something, i.e read gossip, read news, watch a video or read about something my friend thought was cool, important whatever, I get sorely disappointed when I go to these site which have these ridiculous advertisements that really turn me off. Fred Wilson, had a very interesting post about 6 months back here is that video. The video is 22 minutes long, so check it out when you have some time. The summary of the video is that the online advertising medium is fragmenting, You have Google Ads which is based on searched content, Social Ads that is based on emotional/social sharing content, Internet Video Ads, Mobile Ads, Location based Ads, Streaming Audio based Ads etc. Managing the advertisement budget is not that simple anymore. I specifically want to emphasize there is a difference between Marketing and Advertising. I don't want to go into that discussion in this post. This post is about Advertisements. I believe websites need to focus on Native Monetization, I think that is the way to ensure you don't turn off your user base. What do I mean by Native Monetization? Look at the ads by Google, they don't sell banners they specifically encourage their advertisers to do the work on deciding how, when, what and where the ads needs to show up. More specifically, what search words are linked to the ads, what geography etc this actually enhances the experience of the ads consumer. The same is true of many of the platforms, like promoted ads on Twitter, location specific ads on FourSquare, promoted ads on Tumblr etc I am not so sure that it has been implemented that correctly in Facebook and that is probably the reason they are not able to monetize ads effectively. I hear through the grapevine that Facebook is having challenges in converting advertisements. I may be wrong in this assertion. One more titbit of information that I got out of Jonah Peretti of BuzzFeed (video below) is that the Content Management System that renders your websites contents needs to be used for the ads that you display in your website. Actually just following that advice you will be forced to do Native Monetization. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMBs9Uk9Ds&w=560&h=315]
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: